Friday, May 26, 2006

Muscle Weary

Well we made our first 5 day trek. It was great to get back in town and get a shower and relax at the hotel for a bit. In summary, tons of rock steps, leaches, water buffalo soup, water buffalo milk, more steps, prayer walking in villages, tons of children, more rock steps, sore muscles, LOTS of water, little rain, more steps, handing out flyers about a radio program in the villages, more steps, lintel soup, rice, tea, noodles, more steps!
This was the hardest thing I have had to do in my life. Yes, God is stretching me. I am so far out of my comfort zone! This was an incredible few days with some awesome guys. Tommy gets the endurance award. Preparing for marathons has definitely prepared him for this trip. Our youngest pair of legs, Shane, was always right in Tommy's footsteps. Wally and I usually were bringing up the rear with Gary hanging back for encouragement. Did I mention steps? We took a jeep as far as the road would take us (approx. 1 hr.) and hiked through a river bed for 2.5 hours. We were already tired from hiking in the hot sun in the afternoon. We found out that we were still 4 hrs. from the 1st village. The next 4 hrs was spent mostly in the rain climbing stone steps. Over the past 5 days we have climbed a total of over 8000 feet to an altitude of just under 2500 meters. I have never climed so many steps in my life. We also proved that what goes up must come down. The hike on the 3rd day was also difficult going down to the river and back up the hill across the valley. Today we came down from that village and met a jeep to bring us back to town. We are plum exhausted!
It was awesome to meet the gurung people. They are very hospitible. We were always greeted with a HOT cup of tea and a seat wherever we went. We had the opportunity to pray and share with a paralyzed man and a physically disabled child. Very humbling to see the conditions these people live in- its not the burbs!
God has taught me that even though I was working out, I was not ready for this trip. He has been getting all over me about not being prepared if He were to call me something specific. My lifestyle is going to have to change when I get home.
Also a quick prayer request. Many of you know that I lost hearing in my good ear (I was already 1/2 deaf in my bad ear). I am only able to hear 20-30% of the conversations. This has been quite discouraging because so many of the relationships are on a verbal level. I don't know what God is teaching me. This part of the trip has been very lonely. I have missed jokes, conversation, and even God movements because I just can't hear them. Chin is up, but could use some prayers.
Danny

4 Comments:

Blogger runskotrun said...

Danny-thanks for the truth! If you hadn't put in your post that dad was bringing up the rear, he would have denied it! Thanks for letting me know that my old man is not in shape! Love you guys, hang in there-snaps

12:43 PM  
Blogger runskotrun said...

Danny, thank you for sharing your heart. My prayers are with you. God will truly bless you because of your willingness to go even while under so much physical difficulty. Thank you for the letters letting us into your experience. And thanks for keeping Wally company. Lorenda

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Danny (& trekkers) -- the prayers are arising. Love & Blessings, Wes <+><

4:50 PM  
Blogger Lizanne said...

I am so excited about the things that God is doing in your life. I know we will all be different because of it.I am praying for healing for your blister. I saw Carol Doty today and we talked about Dan and your hearing. She reminded me that sometimes the things God heals are not the things we think need to be healed. I love you!

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home